Saturday, October 9, 2010

S'mores bars

This a yummy recipe for those days when you are craving summer campfires or when you just need a dessert in a hurry.

Original recipe here:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/warm-toasted-marshmallow-smores-bars/902bb288-e52b-4aba-a264-925d20f37d98

It's basically butter. sugar, and chocolate so there's not a whole lot you can do by way of making it healthy, but I tweaked it a bit and they turned out quite delicious. I have made S'mores Bars before with another recipe involving marshmallow creme (impossible to cut and very messy). These are SO much better than the last recipe I tried.


S'MORES BARS

Preheat: 375F

1 pouch sugar cookie mix (I used Krusteaz - whatever you get should make 3 dozen, 2-inch cookies)
3/4c (1 1/2 sticks) butter / margarine, melted
1 sleeve graham crackers, crushed into crumbs (I used lowfat)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (orig. recipe called for THREE cups.. I used a scant 1 1/2 cups and was more than enough)
4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Mix together cookie mix, butter, and crumbs into a dough and press into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown around the edges. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let stand for a few minutes then use a spatula to spread the chocolate chips into an even layer. Top with marshmallows and broil 5-6" away from the broiler for about 30 seconds or until marshmallows are golden brown. YUM!

Notes: These are very good either warm and gooey or completely cooled. Anywhere in between the marshmallow layer tends to pull off from the chocolate and crust. These are amazing - highly recommend!

Happy Baking!
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment