Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kelsi FINALLY posts :-) Israeli Couscous and Maple Dijon Chicken

Okay so this was so delicious I HAD to post it because it was so easy. This meal literally took me 30 minutes start to finish. Fast.

Israeli Couscous is bigger, fatter than regular couscous. Its like pasta and rice combined. Oh but it says on the box that "Israeli couscous is sometimes called pearl couscous or maftoul. Larger than traditional couscous, but smaller than its closest pasta relative, Israeli couscous is round and cooks up in minutes to a wonderfully chewy consistency."  I'm sure some of you know what im talking about. or what the back of the box is talking about. Also, you can buy it in the bins at Winco. maybe not Israeli, I bought a box of it at Trader Joe's, but I'm sure bulk is just as good and a whole lot cheaper.

Israeli Coucous

1 1/2 C Couscous
1 3/4 C chicken broth (conveniently equal to one can of chicken broth)
1/2 medium onion, diced
some chopped green onions for fun
1 stalk of celery, chopped. for fun.
sun dried tomatoes, for some extra color. I didn't notice a taste difference. but they were pretty lol.
1 tbs butter
dry white wine if you want
fresh ground pepper


Sautee onions and celery in butter until translucent, add couscous and turn up heat, stirring constantly until some of the couscous is lightly browned, toasty. add white wine and reduce, then chicken stock, green onions, and pepper. simmer on med/low heat until all liquid is absorbed, add sundried tomatoes. and GORGE YOURSELVES!!!

but while you're waiting for the couscous to absorb and whatnot, make some chicken.

Maple Dijon Chicken

You know I made all these up right? I definitely just looked around in my kitchen and found stuff that sounded like they remotely went together.

back to the chicken.

4 chicken breasts or so. I used 7 breast tenders.
2-3 TBS Dijon Mustard, the kind with the whole mustard seeds in it. yum.
1 TBS maple syrup
a dash of garlic powder
GENEROUS amounts of fresh ground pepper. love it.
Olive oil for pan


put the chicken in with the oil, pepper the chicken, slather the frozen or not-so-frozen raw chicken with mustard, as much as you want, splash some maple syrup on it, and cover. I prefer my chicken a little crispy and brown on the outside, so I turned up the heat, covered it, and flipped it a couple times. The mustard seeds are tasty when browned with the chicken.

Then we ate it all. Actually not all of it, just enough was left for me to pack a lunch for work on Monday. But guess what? I'm eating the leftovers right now as I write. And its delicious, I don't regret it at all.

I think my new obsession is couscous. I saved the box because It has 2 more recipes on it. One for lemon/cinnamon/pine nut couscous, and another with wilted greens, red onion, and butternut squash (and in my mind it has feta in it too). ummm delicous. Lets all eat couscous together some time.

omnomnomery. deliciouslyfresh. healthyton.

I just added those for fun. cuz i'm avoiding writing a paper. kthankxbai.

No comments:

Post a Comment