The lentil soup I made for dinner in the slow cooker was a smashing success. It was healthy, hearty, and very satisfying. My husband (Ben) loved it! I will be making it again. I started with this recipe:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=7039586
Lentil Soup
By Mary Sperling of Newberg, Ore.Ingredients:
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
Directions Put all of these ingredients in the slow cooker. Set it on low if you are leaving it all day, high if you are starting it around lunchtime.
About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup, add:
Variations:
You can add potatoes if you want more bulk. Add cubed potatoes at the beginning of cooking if you do.
Tomatoes are also good in this dish. Add one 14 ½ ounce can of diced tomatoes at the beginning of cooking if you like. - 1 ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped
Variations:
You can add potatoes if you want more bulk. Add cubed potatoes at the beginning of cooking if you do.
**************************
My notes & additions:
**************************
- Decrease water to 6 cups
- I did add 1 can of stewed tomatoes
- Added 1/2lb chopped mushrooms
- Added extra ~2 cups of carrots + celery
- (The additional vegetables make up for the reduced water).
- I did 6 cubes of beef boullion to 6 cups of water, but do less if you want low salt.
- To win extra points with Ben, I added about 2/3lb of chopped up turkey kielbasa sausage - lowfat, but gives a richer taste. I'll probably make it meatless next time.
- I didn't add kale because there was none at the store. =(=( Kale is one of my favorites - highly recommend trying if you haven't before.
- The balsamic vinegar sounds weird - but I promise, it's really good!
-Alyssa
No comments:
Post a Comment