Thursday, September 2, 2010

Finally, a blog worth writing!!

I've been experimenting with my slow cooker this year! It's great for a full time student with a hungry husband. So I have a few recipes to post that I've made in the last two weeks - let's start with one of my all time favorites.

Tried and True: Slow Cooker Beef Stew


Tips: I like my vegetables chunky so I suggest coarse chopping. This makes a lot of stew (could easily feed a family of 6 - and the leftovers are amaazzzzing), so you'll either need a big stew pot if you're making it stovetop, or a slow cooker with at least a 3qt capacity and can easily scale down. This recipe is very flexible, so it is likely to taste great even if you're a little imprecise.


1 lb stew meat, cubed in small pieces
1 T oil (to brown meat)
2 cups cubed red potatoes
4 celery ribs, sliced
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 mushrooms, chopped/sliced
4-6 cups beef broth (depends on how thick you want it and how big your pot is)
1/4c flour dissolved in some cold broth/water

Seasoning:
1-2 T worchestershire, to taste
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp each, basil & oregano
1 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Brown the meat (and garlic if you like) in the oil. Dump all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low if you're starting in the morning or on high if you start it around lunchtime (4-5 hours). You can also make this on the stove - in which case brown the meat, sautee the onions, then simmer everything for 45min to 1 hour until everything is tender. =) Enjoy! Leave a comment here if you try this recipe or come up with a yummy variation!

Coming soon - hamburger barley soup and my own recipe for wild rice meatloaf! Currently in the crockpot - lentil and vegetable stew! If it tastes as good as it smells, I'll post the recipe soon!

-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment