It's been a while since we've posted but Kels and I survived our last semesters of college and now actually have time to cook and write about it! It's hard to write about food you cook when you don't have time to cook. I had kinda forgotten about this blog, to be honest! Kels and I agreed this blog needs a revamping and we want to really get it going.We don't know what we're going to do with it exactly but get ready for some good changes and updates! This is what I made for dinner tonight and is really hearty so Ben said he didn't even mind that there was no meat in it. It's also very good with cubed chicken if you are a meat lover. =)
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 batch of curry sauce (~2 cups), canned or made from scratch
4c Vegetables (less if using canned curry with veg already in it)
Brown rice (I ended up with about 5 cups cooked)
Notes on the curry:
So I don't know how familiar you are with curry sauce but you can either make the curry sauce from scratch from curry paste, coconut milk, and tamarind extract as I did (directions are on the curry paste and it was extremely easy) because they were out of the canned stuff, or buy cans of curry - most of them have some vegetables in them already. You'll probably have to go to an asian food market to find this. There's green, red, and massaman curry. I like all of them, personally I prefer red or massaman curry - the green one is also good but I suspect your kids might not like it unless they would like the flavor of lemongrass I believe it is. If I remember correctly one of those is very high calorie and I'm not sure which one so look at the label if you're feeling health conscious.
Notes on Vegetables:
Tonight I used 2 med cubed potatoes, 1/2 a coarsely chopped onion, 2 carrots, 1 can water chestnuts chopped, 5 thinly sliced mushrooms, 1 small head of broccoli, 1c bean sprouts. This was a great mix but ended up being too much veg for the amount of sauce I made, I almost should have doubled the sauce for as many veg as I added. I'd say I added ~6 cups of veg. I think 4c would be about the right proportion if making sauce from scratch.
Notes on the Rice:
I used a mix of brown rice that also had stuff like wild rice and random other grains, I'm not even sure what was in it but it's nice to have a texture variety (I think it came from the WinCo bulk bins). I bet this would also be really good served over quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), a tiny round grain that's extremely nutritious - it provides all essential amino acids so is an excellent meat substitute protein-wise. Don't be intimidated by quinoa's weird name - it's very easy to cook, basically the same as rice except you have to rinse it first.
No comments:
Post a Comment